1. Information we collect
To run our service and show you relevant content we need to know a little about you and your cause-related passions. Here we outline what information SaveOhno collects, and how we collect it.
a. What we collect
When you sign a petition, sign up for an event, or join a campaign through the SaveOhno platform, you are required to create an account. All your SaveOhno activities are then linked with this account.
Through these activities and upon your general use of our platform, we may collect and/or receive the following information about you that reveals your specific identity, or is directly tied to your specific identity:
- your name
- your postal code
- your email address, or non-email authentication if you are using a mobile device
- your profile picture
- other information you voluntarily submit (for example: photos, profile bio)
- your unique mobile device ID number if you access our services via a mobile application
- your social media account ID and information shared with us via your social media account
- your specific activities on our platform - for example, petitions you have signed, events you have registered for and attended, campaigns you have joined, and actions you have taken as part of those campaigns.
- information inferred about the issues you care about based on your activities on the platform (e.g. ocean conservation, climate change);
- information about you available in public records, or other publicly available databases, such as civic data APIs
- information about you that we get from third party data providers. This data would be obtained with assurance that you have consented to the collecting and sharing of this data. We don’t actively collect sensitive public data such as medical data. In addition, we only collect information that is permissible to collect in each country where we operate.
We also collect information that does not reveal your specific identity, or does not directly relate to you, such as:
- browser and device information
- information collected through cookies, email pixel tags, and similar industry-standard technologies
- demographic information and other non-identifying information provided by you (such as a zip code or general geographic area)
b. How we collect it
- When you create accounts on our platform, you will be asked to create a user profile that includes information such as your name, city, state, and country. You may choose to upload photos and provide additional information as well.
- When you are signed in to your account, your activities on the platform are tracked and are associated with your account. Such activities may include signing a petition, registering for an event, joining campaign, taking an action in that campaign, providing feedback on another user’s action, following a user, joining a competition, and joining a team.
- When you download and use our existing or future mobile applications, we may collect your unique device ID and all your account and activity information will be tied to that unique device ID. In addition, we may track and collect app usage data, such as the date and time the app on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the app, and this information may be associated with your SaveOhno account.
- We may collect information through your activities offline, for example when you respond to user surveys, or physically sign in at an event.
- We may obtain information about you from public records, publicly available databases, and third-party providers as described above.
- We may obtain certain information through your social media accounts if they are connected to your SaveOhno account. If you log in to SaveOhno via Facebook, we ask for your permission to access certain information about your Facebook account, activities and friends. Social media sites make information available to all apps through their APIs, such as friend lists. The information we receive depends on what information you or the social media site decide to give us.
- Browser and device information: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version, and the name and version of the platform you are using.
2. How we may use your information
Here are the ways we might use your information to run our platform and provide our services.
- We use your information to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests through our support platform.
- We need your contact information to send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding our services and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
- We use your information for general business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new services, enhancing, improving, or modifying our platform, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of campaigns, and operating and expanding our business activities.
- We personalize your experience by presenting petitions, campaigns and offers tailored to you based on what we know about you. We may also send you promotional communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
- We use your information to allow you to participate in events and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose information about you, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
- We need information about your social media account and activities to facilitate social sharing functionality, such as sharing petitions or other content, through our platform and other social media platform like Facebook and Twitter.
- We use your account information to allow you to send email messages to your email contacts through the SaveOhno platform, such as to share a petition. By using this feature, you guarantee that you have the right to use and provide us the names and email addresses you submit.
- We use information about your computer or device to ensure that our site, apps, and APIs function properly and are optimized for your computer or device.
- If you are using one of our mobile applications, we use your device ID to recognize you when you use the application and to store your preferences and settings.
- We may use and share aggregated and anonymized information to better understand and serve our users or for optimization of our marketing and ad targeting efforts. For example, we may compile statistics like the percentage of our users in a state or country who care about animal rights, or the age range of those users.
In some instances, we may combine non-personally identifiable information with personally identifiable information (for example, we may combine your name with your geographical location or combine your name with information about your activities on our platform ). In such case the combined information will be treated by us as personally identifying information and protected accordingly.
As described above, we may combine the information you submit to us with information about you from public records, publicly available databases, and third-party providers.
3. Who may receive your information
Here we outline when and how information can be shared - either by you via the platform, or by us. Organizations can pay to promote their campaigns (that’s what helps keep the platform free to use), but we won’t share your contact details with them without your permission.
a. The SaveOhno Community
- Your name, general geographic location (such as city, state, country), and a link to your SaveOhno user profile may be displayed on the landing page for any petition you sign, and on related areas of our platform.
- We also share your first and last name and city with the person who initiated a petition you have signed. If you do not wish to have such information shared with the person who initiated the petition, please do not sign the petition.
- We may, in certain circumstances, share your name and general geographic location with the intended decision maker who is the recipient of the petition. If you do not wish to have this information shared with the petition recipient, you should not sign the petition.
Our platform provides an open forum for communication by users all around the world. We do not monitor, verify, or perform any background checks on campaign starters, petition signers, political candidates, organizations, endorsers, or other members of SaveOhno. Interacting with others on our platform and the resulting sharing of information is at your own risk.
b. Your other social media platform
c. Advertisers and ad networks
- Only at your election and if you specifically consent, we may share information about you with our sponsors, including your email address, mailing address, and account activity. The advertiser may then use this information to communicate with you and send you promotional materials that may be of interest to you. We do not control the content or frequency of communications that you may receive from our advertisers.
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about what personal information a company shares with third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. If you have questions about our sharing practices or your rights under California law, please contact us at email@example.com.
4. Your privacy choices
b. Social media
You can edit or remove the permissions you have granted to SaveOhno to use information from your social media accounts by using the application privacy settings on your social media account.
If you’ve signed in on SaveOhno through Facebook connect, you are likely cookied by Facebook. You can modify or change those cookies through the settings on your Facebook account. For more details on cookies, please see our Cookies Policy.
c. Email settings
If you no longer want to receive emails from SaveOhno going forward, you may opt out of receiving them by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
e. Third-party analytics companies
To opt out of Google Analytics, please go to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout .
5. Accessing or deleting your information
If you want, you can ask us for the information we have about your account and even ask us to delete it, by emailing us at email@example.com.
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress, or delete information that has been previously provided to us by you, you may log in to your account, click on “Settings” and update your profile information. This does not include account activity, which can only be deleted if you explicitly request it through an email.
6. Data retention & security
We take a lot of measures to protect your personal information. If you suspect someone else is using your account, let us know by contacting our Help Desk, which can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures to protect your information within our organization from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, and/or destruction. We take reasonable steps to ensure that all data we process is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete and current to the extent necessary for the purposes for which we use it. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting our Help Desk, which can be reached at email@example.com.